Nothing But Fluff

Life can be a serious affair. It feels good now and then to talk fluff. There are simple pleasures that are worth mentioning. Here you can read funny stories, happy thoughts, favorite recipes, and any other fluff that I dream up. (Some posts were originally published on MySpace).

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Shallow, I'm not. I ponder almost everything. Every book I read or movie I watch evokes something to discuss. I thrive on learning and growing to be a better example. Uncaring, I'm not. I'm a sincere friend, a loving mom, and a caring daughter. Apathetic, I'm not. I'm extremely passionate, especially about doing the right thing. I speak up in classes, tutor others, talk to strangers in stores, and love deeply. Boring, I'm not. I write essays, letters, poetry, and some fiction; take classes; cook from scratch; ride horses; ice skate; play with my dogs; go to the beach for a picnic; go out for Sushi; watch classic movies; read non-fiction, autobiographies, classic literature, and young adult novels; and get to know people on the inside. Reserved, I'm not. I speak openly about my past, candidly about my present, and enthusiastically about my deepest dreams for the future. Because I ask an enormous amount of questions, have an excellent memory, and listen well, not a day goes by that I don't learn something. Yet, I'll never claim to know it all.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

RECIPE: Auntie Biz's Roasted Tofu-Broccoli Medley

by Elizabeth Anne Randolph

4 cups (32 oz. pkg.) Broccoli Florets
1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 orange pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
4 plum tomatoes, quartered
2 12 oz. pkgs. firm tofu
1/8 cup (1 oz.) olive oil
1/8 cup (1 oz.) soy sauce (tamari)
2 tsp. dried Italian herbs
2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
pinch of salt
1 whole head of garlic, cloves separated, peeled, and chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Steam broccoli 2 minutes.
Chill broccoli 2 minutes (in bowl of ice water).
Drain broccoli and dry on paper towels.
In very large bowl, place broccoli, peppers, 1/8 cup olive oil, soy sauce, Italian herbs, celery salt, salt and ground pepper. Toss to combine. Place vegetables in a glass baking dish 9" by 13" (23 cm x 33 cm). Toss garlic and 1 tbsp. olive oil into glass square baking dish 8" X 8" or glass pie plate 9 1/2" (23cm) and stir to coat garlic. Place each dish on separate racks and roast 10 minutes. Broccoli should be tender but firm and garlic, golden and tender. Remove both dishes from oven. Set garlic aside. Add tofu to broccoli pan. Toss lightly. Add tomato quarters. Roast an additional 4 minutes or until tomatoes have softened. Remove vegetables from oven and add garlic. Toss lightly. Serves 6.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph said...

When you do tofu right Arlen, it takes on the flavor of the food. I never eat it straight from the package. I like it cooked where it's part of a sauce. I usually make this dish without the tofu as a side vegetable dish. I added the tofu recently to make it a full meal in itself. 2 oz. of tofu can also substitute for 1 egg in cake or muffin recipe.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home