Nothing But Fluff

Life can be a serious affair. It feels good now and then to talk fluff. There are simple pleasures that are worth mentioning. Here you can read funny stories, happy thoughts, favorite recipes, and any other fluff that I dream up. (Some posts were originally published on MySpace).

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Shallow, I'm not. I ponder almost everything. Every book I read or movie I watch evokes something to discuss. I thrive on learning and growing to be a better example. Uncaring, I'm not. I'm a sincere friend, a loving mom, and a caring daughter. Apathetic, I'm not. I'm extremely passionate, especially about doing the right thing. I speak up in classes, tutor others, talk to strangers in stores, and love deeply. Boring, I'm not. I write essays, letters, poetry, and some fiction; take classes; cook from scratch; ride horses; ice skate; play with my dogs; go to the beach for a picnic; go out for Sushi; watch classic movies; read non-fiction, autobiographies, classic literature, and young adult novels; and get to know people on the inside. Reserved, I'm not. I speak openly about my past, candidly about my present, and enthusiastically about my deepest dreams for the future. Because I ask an enormous amount of questions, have an excellent memory, and listen well, not a day goes by that I don't learn something. Yet, I'll never claim to know it all.

Friday, June 01, 2007

MYSPACE: [June 1, 2007] WHAT ON EARTH, DID I JUST HEAR?

[June 1, 2007] WHAT ON EARTH, DID I JUST HEAR?
Current mood: amused
Category: Life

I don't know exactly why this memory came to mind. I was playing Yahtzee with my son Christopher in his room. We were chatting about this and that; and I was reminded of a very funny time.

I had been baby-sitting for a friend. Her son Cole was four-years-old. This particular day, Michelle was looking into a Christian preschool for her two kids. Cole was seated at my dining table. He was playing with numerous plastic figures. Several had come from various fast food restaurants. There were Power Rangers, Disney figures, army men, and characters from comic books and animated television shows. I didn't know who all these figures were, but they were the perfect toys for Cole to occupy himself, while I prepared lunch.

I listened to him give voices to the characters he selected. I thought of how important in a child's life, play is. I remembered the metal dollhouse that I had as a kid. I never had the right-sized people. Now, we had all the people, but no house. I thought about how Cole would create his own world for these guys.

It was then I heard him say, "I'm gonna screw you!"

My jaw dropped. This gentle Christian boy had used such horrible language. Where on earth would he hear such an expression? Certainly, Michelle would never have said such a thing. I had never heard of her showing him movies with such words in them. I wondered what on Earth I would say to Cole. Would I say anything to Cole? Maybe I should just tell Michelle. What if he says something worse? These were all the thoughts that raced through my mind as I walked over to Cole, whose back was to me.

He hopped one character over to another. I took one look at the character in his left hand and breathed a big sigh of relief. Everything was fine.

It was a funny looking guy with big screws for hands. I walked back to the kitchen and threw my hand over my mouth to hold back hysterical laughter. It was hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home